So…. It’s been 6 months since we started our VEIL website online and thanks a zillion to all our friends, families, fans and supporters out there! We really feel your love - whether its on our Facebook posts (which we promise we will do more regularly), in our boutiques where we get paid to dress you up in our fashion togs and recently on our e-shop, where we lay claim to our little niche in the online business. In such a fast changing world, where millions are traded in an instant, we at VEIL are grateful for the loyal VIP customers that have been with us, since the beginning of our journey 7 years ago.
Anyway, when we pondered upon starting our website, complete with e-shop, we promised ourselves that we would include a blog onto the website so that we can communicate our ideas – fashion or otherwise with everyone. Fast forward - 6 months since our e-shop has gone live and sorry to say, no blog going on yet. Our apologies… its just that the day to day running of the business, does eat up a large chunk of our time and energy, and then procrastination takes over. Yet, here we are today…. Entering into the first journal entry of our VEIL’s VOICE! Exciting stuff :)
It seems apt then, for us to charge straight into the super invigorating topic of “SPRING CLEANING!” Some wise person once said that:
Unfortunately for most of us, Spring has crept up on us suddenly and we are totally unprepared for her arrival. We have partied too hard and too long over Christmas and New Year, the extra weight we’ve put on over the holidays haven’t gone away… yet. We just sorted the kids out with their school routines, and are working even more to pay off those crazy holiday souvenir purchases.
Regardless, Spring IS here. It’s synonymous with fresh starts and all of us can do with some of that! We advocate a good spring clean at least once every 6 months and while it can be time consuming, we promise you’ll feel oh-so-accomplished once the deed is done.
So, why Spring Clean? The thing is, with time, everybody changes. You are not the same as you were last year. Even if you managed to keep your health the same, attitudes are changing all the time. Maybe your season in life has changed. You got your degree? You landed a new job? You got married? You switched industries? You got promoted? You’re now a working mum?
Fashion is as fun as it is fickle. What’s in this season, could very well be out the next. You don’t have to be a fashion victim, but certainly you want to be relevant wherever you are, comfortably and stylishly, looking the part. SO…its time to clean your closet, get rid of that clutter, and organize, organize, organize! Are you still unsure about what to do with your piles of unnecessary items that have been accumulating over the past year? Now’s the time to be brutal and get rid of the mess, while relieving your stress.
In most “How to clean up your wardrobe” guides, the experts teach us to face our closets honestly and get started, either top-down or bottom-up. The key is “Just do it!” We suggest that before you get your hands messy, and you will, spend some time reflecting your current lifestyle and wardrobe needs.
1) Define - Think about your lifestyle and typical outfits you wear throughout the week. Write down what you wear the most - and be honest! How many blouses, pants, skirts, dresses, T-shirts do you really wear in a week?
2) Purge - Quickly go through your closet and remove clothes that should definitely go. Remove anything that is damaged, doesn’t fit, looks worn out, doesn’t fit your lifestyle, or no longer fits your personal style or body shape. Bag up clothes for donation and toss damaged and stained garments. While you are at it, don’t forget to go through your lingerie drawers as well. Ill-fitting undergarments are a no-no-no.
3) Try It On - By this point, everything left in your closet should be clothes that you like and that fit you. Quickly try everything on and look in the mirror. You may also want a trustworthy friend who can help you honestly evaluate what you have left. If something doesn’t fit well, add it to the donation bag you started previously. Even if it’s something that you really like but somehow, just not right for the “now” you – let it go. You can always search for replacements that are better suited for you.
4) Divide - As you try on the clothes, make a pile for clothes that look great and fit your everyday needs, a pile for special occasion clothes, and a pile for clothes that are your absolute favorites. Now’s the time to note whether or not you have enough clothes for your everyday needs, and record the gaps. The aim here is to curate your closet brutally so that it’s full of what you actually love to wear, rather than just what you love to look at.
5) Get Organised - Now that you’ve got seriously cleared out the superfluous clutter, its time to put all your yeses back into your closet in the most organized and logical manner. Take your time to fold your clothes properly and organize your space. Hang your clothes accordingly to their length and colour so that dressing up everyday will become a joy and not a chore. Put some lovely potpourri to give your wardrobe a uniquely ‘you’ fragrance, if that’s up your alley.
6) Wish List - If you have reached this point, congratulate yourself! Well done!! Now, is the time to review your notes and compare the gaps. What do you really wear in a typical day, what you already have in your wardrobe, and what items need to be replaced. What would you like to wear more of, what you think you can do without. Prioritize your wish list based on your personal budget and style needs. What will make your wardrobe the most versatile in a reasonable amount of time.
7) Treat yourself - Yes, here’s the good part! Treat yourself! An emptier closet means you have made room for new purchases, and lets face it, having a reward in sight does give us that extra bit of motivation to get the job done! Now go forth and clean!
By the way, VEIL’s Spring collection is already in stores so come on down to our boutiques (or shop online www.veilshop.com.sg) and reward yourself ;) We’ll be thrilled to invade your closet!!